In 1922, Francis Joseph Reitz pledged money for the original Memorial High School to be built. Before he purchased the 13-acre tract of vacant property on Evansville’s Lincoln Avenue, Reitz had searched nearly a year for an appropriate site for the city’s new Caholic High School. A prominent local financier, Reitz demanded a location accessible by streetcar and near light, gas, and water lines. For his one million dollar gift to the youth of Evansville, Reitz was presented with the insignia of Knight and Knight Commander of the Order of Pius IX.
The original school had 18 classrooms, an auditorium with a stage that doubled as a gymnasium, library, and cafeteria, along with a candy store, parlor, and a large recreation room. The building was designed by Edward J. Thole and constructed by Albert J. Hoffman. The three-floor building was constructed of Ohio gray brick with elaborate trimmings of Indiana limestone. Bedford stone sculptures around the three main entrances, the window apertures, and the roof pediment supplemented the building’s Tudor-Gothic design. Ornamental pillars at the entrances of the walks and driveways reinforced the utility of design. New Year’s Day, 1925, Reitz Memorial High School was dedicated by Bishop Chartrand of Indianapolis. Classes began January 5, and the boys were taught by the Brothers of The Holy Cross and the girls by the Sisters of Providence.
At the end of the 2007-2008 school year, Principal Gerry Adams retired after serving the Memorial community for 26 years. Memorial welcomed Mrs. Gwen Godsey the following school year to continue the Memorial tradition. Mrs. Gwen Godsey was principal for three years. In the fall of 2011, Mrs. Cynthia Schneider joined the Memorial community as the new principal.